A lot of us want to make our excess/free time productive so here’s a DIY tutorial on how to make an acid washed denim shorts. It’s easy peasy plus why not pair your braided hair with your inner edgy-chic denim shorts?
We, Vina & Sai, have been partners-in-crime for the past few weeks, but since Vina cannot style Sai’s hair as much as we wanted to we tried something else together to give or share to ya’ll. We enjoyed making our denim shorts/jeans to fit our personal style so I hope you enjoy making yours too!
- A pair of denim pants/shorts/skirt that you want to acid wash.
- Safety Pin
- Dye (incase you want the fabric colored)
And here’s what you’ll do:
- If you want to add up a ragged-edgy look on your shorts, you can cut a some parts of the shorts and rip it! Cut a hole through the fabric where you want it ripped.
- Use the safety pin to fray the fibers or the fabric one by one. Continue until you reach the other point of the cut-out part.
- When you are happy with the result, use the tweezers to remove the excess fabric.
- Brush off all the fabric and, tadah!
- You can repeat these steps to add more ripped parts to your jeans or shorts. Afterwards, you can start dying your jeans!
- Soak your jeans in hot/lukewarm water to let the fabric loose.
- Rinse it and put the bleach to any part of the shorts you want bleached. In our case, we want the whole shorts bleached so we poured drops of bleach all over the shorts.
- Leave it for 5-10 minutes, depends on how much bleach you put and how you want it bleached. If you want it more on grayish to white, leave it for 15 minutes and here’s you’ll come up with:
As you can see, there are parts that are whiter than the other. Why? Because we put/pour the bleach unevenly. You can re-soak it in bleach as much as you want to or keep it soaked as long as you want to until you get the look you want for your denim shorts.
Vina La Vam & Sai Pauline